W. Pa. authorities seize 15 pounds of heroin
SOMERSET (AP) – Investigators in Western Pennsylvania said nearly 15 pounds of pure, uncut heroin was seized from the Pennsylvania Turnpike earlier this month.
WJAC-TV reported authorities in Somerset County said they haven’t seen this much unadulterated heroin before but figure it’s worth millions.
Somerset County District Attorney Lisa Lazzari-Strasiser said a trooper pulled over the work van after running the license plate and discovering it didn’t match the make and model.
A criminal complaint said driver Maria Pina and passenger Gilberto Ocampo, both of Illinois, seemed nervous but consented to a search.
That’s when police spotted an air compressor that looked tampered with. Inside, officers said they found 7 kilograms – about 15 pounds – of uncut heroin.
Pina and Ocampo remain jailed on $500,000 bail each.
- 1North Bethlehem Twp. man sentenced to 2 to 4 years for sex assault | Observer-Reporter
- 2Eighty Four's Ross Farm included in 'crowd-funded' Super Bowl beer ad | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 4Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 5Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union