3K letters protest Nottingham mine proposal

  • By Scott Beveridge March 5, 2014
Denny Franks, left, of the environmental group Protectors of Mingo, and Patrick Grenter, center, executive director of Center for Coalfield Justice in Washington, present state Department of Environmental Protection official Joel Koricich with more than 3,000 letters Wednesday in opposition to a proposed deep coal mine in Nottingham Township. - Scott Beveridge / Observer-Reporter Order a Print

CALIFORNIA – Environmentalists on Wednesday hand-delivered more than 3,000 letters to the state Department of Environmental Protection in opposition to a proposed deep coal mine they believe will disrupt rural living near Mingo Creek County Park in Nottingham Township.

The groups, Protectors of Mingo and Center for Coalfield Justice in Washington, presented the letters to Joel Koricich, DEP acting district mining director at the California office, who said the Kentucky-based coal operator RAMACO had yet to apply to the department for a permit to mine in the area.

“We appreciate your passion, and we’ll look at every one of them,” Koricich said.

RAMACO drew immediate opposition from Nottingham residents after the Lexington company applied last spring to Nottingham supervisors for zoning permits to establish above-ground facilities to mine 8 million tons of former Mathies Mine reserves. Supervisors set 62 conditions on the mine, which proposes to haul coal by truck on a narrow country road in Nottingham. The proposal called for the company to move coal in as many as 70 truckloads a day along Little Mingo Road.

Patrick Grenter, executive director of the Center for Coalfield Justice, said state Sen. Tim Solobay, D-Canonsburg, and state Rep. Rick Saccone, R-Elizabeth, have both voiced opposition to the new mine that would be accessed from a portal at the former Hudson horse farm.

“This proposal has continued to be substandard,” Grenter said. “It is clear that this project cannot operate safely in Nottingham Township.”

In a Jan. 13 letter to the company, Solobay stated he believed the traffic problems the mine would create “cannot be effectively mitigated,” at that the residential character of Nottingham isn’t “suited to the proposed mine.”

“I have come to the conclusion that this proposed RAM No. 1 Mine should not be approved, opened and operated at the Nottingham Township site,” Solobay wrote.

Denny Franks, who lives near the proposed mine entrance, said Nottingham clearly doesn’t want the mine to locate in the neighborhood.

“It is too dirty, too dangerous and too disruptive,” Franks said.

A man who answered the telephone at RAMACO’s headquarters said no one was there Wednesday to discuss the mine protest.

On the company’s website it is now calling the operation MonView Mine, and indicates it’s looking at “additional acquisition targets in the area with multiple sellers.”

Scott Beveridge has been with the Observer-Reporter since 1986 after previously working at the Daily Herald in Monongahela. He is a graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s fine arts and art education programs and Duquesne University’s master of liberal arts program. He is a 2004 World Affairs journalism fellow.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Fire engulfs Cecil Township house

Police beat Nov. 25

Scenery Hill to relight Century Inn sign

Pittsburgh man charged with disrobing in California police holding cell

Peters girl uses strike time to help others

2000 Turkeys reaches goal

Cecil Elementary celebrates Thanksgiving feast

Fire sweeps through Independence Township apartment building

Judge to trusts’ attorney: Recorder of deeds is not in contempt of court order

Police say North Strabane man assaulted wife as she bathed daughter