Pittsburgh boy dies from bacterial meningitis
PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said a 6-year-old Pittsburgh boy has died from bacterial meningitis.
Officials haven’t identified the boy, but say he passed away around 9 p.m. Wednesday at Allegheny General Hospital.
Health officials say the community isn’t at risk, because preliminary lab tests indicate the child didn’t have the type of meningitis that requires treatment of people who had close contact.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about 4,100 cases of bacterial meningitis, including 500 deaths, occurred each year between 2003 and 2007.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union