Husband charged with homicide in North Strabane shooting

March 25, 2014
Scott Alan Edmonds

A North Strabane Township man arrested last month by township police for allegedly assaulting his wife and later ordered by a district judge to attend counseling, including anger-management classes, is now accused in her shooting death.

Scott Alan Edmonds, 50, of 117 Victoria Drive, was taken into custody Tuesday night after his 49-year-old wife, Louise M. Weis-Edmonds, was found shot to death in the dining room of their condominium. Washington County Coroner Tim Warco said she died of a gunshot wound to the head.

When asked for a motive, police Detective John Wybranowski said that is “still the million-dollar question.”

“We are attempting to identify the motive behind this,” he added.

Township police Lt. Dan Levi said the department received a 911 call about 8:40 p.m.

“Edmonds went to a neighbor’s home, and the neighbor followed Scott back to his house,” Levi said. “The neighbor saw her lying in a pool of blood on the floor and went back to his house to call 911.”

“Scott also called 911 and said he heard a gunshot,” the detective added. “When asked, the neighbor told us that he didn’t hear a shot. The neighbors also did not hear any arguing.”

Police entered through the open front door. Edmonds was holding a woman, later identified as his wife, who was bleeding. He was taken into custody. She was already dead.

A shell casing was found on the dining room floor near Louise Weis-Edmonds. A live round also was found near her body, but no weapon was found near her.

A search warrant was obtained, and police found a Ruger handgun, registered to Edmonds, in the pocket of a pool table in a room adjacent to where the body was found. The weapon was a .380 caliber, which is consistent with the spent casing found, police said.

Court records show Scott Edmonds was arrested Feb. 22 by township police on charges of simple assault and harassment after he allegedly pushed his wife to the ground and bit her on the arm. Edmonds and his wife appeared before District Judge Jay Weller for a preliminary hearing March 11.

Weller said Edmonds’ wife was hesitant to testify against him. She also told Weller she was moving out of the house.

“I ordered him to attend anger management and go for a mental-health evaluation,” Weller said Wednesday. “We continued the hearing for a review of the case by all the parties to see how he was doing after attending the classes.”

Among the items found when the search warrant was served at the couple’s home was an anger-management notebook for Scott Edmonds.

Wybranowski said it appears Louise Weis-Edmonds also had a residence in Pittsburgh, but was staying on and off at the Victoria Drive home.

Scott Edmonds also was arrested by township police on charges he assaulted his wife April 23, 2011. He was accused of punching her in the left eye and choking her. The charge of simple assault was withdrawn during a preliminary hearing before Weller, and Edmonds pleaded guilty to a summary charge of harassment.

Two months later, he called police wanting her removed because she was intoxicated. In 2013, he also filed a report she was missing. It was determined she was visiting her parents in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh,

He also was arrested by township police in the March 11, 2001, assault of a woman identified as his fiancee. Prosecution on charges of simple assault and harassment was dropped during a proceeding that December before Judge Katherine B. Emery. Township police also received reports of domestic violence dating back to 2000 involving his former girlfriend.

In 2002, police received a request from police in Amherst, N.Y. to serve a protection from abuse order against Edmonds. When contacted, Edmonds told police he was arrested by Amherst in a domestic dispute involving his mother.

Levi said Scott Edmonds worked as a physical therapist. He said he did not believe Edmonds’ wife was employed.

“We are still following up on leads,” Wybranowski said. “This is still an active investigation, even though an arrest has been made.”

Edmonds was arraigned early Wednesday before District Judge Robert Redlinger on charges of homicide and tampering with evidence. He was placed in Washington County jail without bond. A preliminary hearing is set for April 9 in Central Court.

Kathie O. Warco has covered the police beat and transportation for the Observer-Reporter for more than 25 years. She graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in journalism.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus