Fire damages Canonsburg home

  • March 28, 2014
A firefighter walks away from a home on South Jefferson Avenue in Canonsburg that caught fire as a result of a cooking accident. Two people were able to get out of the house without injury. - Jim McNutt/Observer-Reporter Order a Print

CANONSBURG – A woman and child escaped unharmed from their Canonsburg home after a kitchen fire Friday at 223 S. Jefferson Ave.

Leslie Jean Dodd and her 10-year-old son were able to get out of the home after a grease fire ignited at the kitchen stove and spread upstairs in the two-story structure about 11:30 a.m. The Red Cross was assisting the family.

Officials at the scene said Dodd’s 16-year-old daughter was not home at the time. One of the family’s two dogs perished in the fire.

Canonsburg fire Chief Tom Lawrence said the fire caused about $90,000 in damage to the house. Firefighters were quickly able to bring the blaze under control.

North Strabane and Houston fire departments, and the Peters Township Rapid Intervention team, were also at the scene.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Fire engulfs Cecil Township house

Police beat Nov. 25

Scenery Hill to relight Century Inn sign

Pittsburgh man charged with disrobing in California police holding cell

Peters girl uses strike time to help others

2000 Turkeys reaches goal

Cecil Elementary celebrates Thanksgiving feast

Fire sweeps through Independence Township apartment building

Judge to trusts’ attorney: Recorder of deeds is not in contempt of court order

Police say North Strabane man assaulted wife as she bathed daughter