Baseball: Beach a blast in Big Macs’ win
Jared Beach went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI Tuesday to lead Canon-McMillan to a 6-3 victory over Waynesburg in a non-section game.
Teagan Piechnick hit a solo home run for the Big Macs (4-1) and Tanner Piechnick and Chandler Palyas each had a double.
Hunter Robinson and Scott Benco each had a double for Waynesburg (1-2).
• Josh Luko had four hits and Aaron Previsky tripled as California stayed unbeaten with an 8-2 non-section win over Beth-Center.
Garritt Woodburn picked up the victory for the Trojans (5-0).
Lane Zekir took the loss for Beth-Center (1-3), which had six errors.
• Devin Braddock broke a tie score by hitting a two-run homer in the top of the seventh inning, sending Brownsville to an 8-6 win over Washington in Section 2-AA game.
Twice Washington (1-1, 2-2) came back to tie the score. The Prexies erased a 5-0 deficit with a five-run fourth inning, and scored in the sixth to make it the score 6-6.
Braddock was 3-for-4 with three RBI and Ken Ryan had a double and two RBI for Brownsville (1-1, 2-3). Corey Lent was the winning pitcher.
Losing pitcher Jonathan Spina had a two-run single for Wash High, which was limited to six hits.
• Ben Carlisle, who had doubled earlier in the game, drove in two runs with a single in a four-run seventh inning as West Greene edged Frazier, 5-4, in a non-section game.
Dillon Shields picked up the win for the Pioneers (2-1), who trailed 3-1 entering the seventh.
• Ryan Zalar went four-for-four with a double and four RBI as Carmichaels downed McGuffey, 14-4, in five innings in a non-section game.
Mike Blasinsky and Bill Bowlen also doubled for Carmichaels (3-0), while Brandon Lawless picked up the win.
Dakota Wilkerson doubled for McGuffey (0-3).
• Burgettstown exploded for 11 runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to erase a 12-2 deficit and Dylan Dhans had a game-winning double in the bottom of the seventh to outlast Fort Cherry, 14-13, in a Section 2-AA game.
Winning pitcher Sam Hockenberry, Brett Pasinski and Cole LaRocka all added doubles, while Dhans and Mike Smith had three hits each for the Blue Devils (1-0, 2-1).
Losing pitcher Matt Heslin had three hits, as did Alex Babirad, who also tripled. Ricky Jones added a pair of doubles, while John Findling had one for Fort Cherry (0-1, 0-1).
• Garrett Briant, Dom Neff and Noah Lolley combined on a three-hit shutout as Trinity defeated Montour, 1-0, in a non-section game.
Neff was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the top of the sixth inning to drive in the game’s lone run for Trinity (2-2).
Brady Minetti doubled, while Chris Hanlon was the losing pitcher for Montour (3-1).