Jokinen, Fleury give Pens shootout win
DENVER — Jussi Jokinen skated across the front of the crease and roofed a shot over sprawling goalie Semyon Varlamov to give the Pittsburgh Penguins a 3-2 win over the Colorado Avalanche in a shootout on Sunday night.
After Jokinen’s goal, Marc-Andre Fleury made a pad save on Gabriel Landeskog’s shot, snapping Colorado’s six-game winning streak and denying Varlamov franchise records for most home and overall wins in a season.
After falling behind 2-0 on Brandon Sutter’s first multiple-goal game this season, Colorado scored twice in the third period to tie it and send the game to overtime.
Ryan O’Reilly scored his team-leading 28th goal of the season 18 seconds into the third period, and Patrick Bordeleau redirected defenseman Tyson Barrie’s shot from the point past Fleury with 3:13 left in regulation.
Follow AP Sports Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2Washington police officer suspended without pay | Observer-Reporter
- 3'Finding Zink' a success | Observer-Reporter
- 4Wolf bans new drilling in state parks | Observer-Reporter
- 5Waynesburg woman to respond for allegedly conspiring in bank robbery | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union