Baseball: Canon-Mac wins wild one, 15-14
Canon-McMillan’s Trevor Schreckengost scored the game-winning run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the sixth inning as the Big Macs defeated Mt. Lebanon, 15-14, in a Section 5-AAAA game.
Facing the Blue Devils starting pitcher Zack Bahm, a Columbia recruit, the Big Macs found themselves in an early hole when Mt. Lebanon led the game off with a home run and took an early 2-0 lead.
Canon-McMillan (2-0, 7-1) responded when junior Jared Beach hit a two-run home run in the bottom half of the inning to tie the game. The Big Macs added three more runs in the third and fourth innings, then six in the fifth to take a 14-7 lead.
Mt. Lebanon (0-2, 3-7) answered with seven runs in the top of the sixth to tie the game. Schreckengost led off the bottom half of the sixth with a single aand later scored on a wild pitch to give Canon-McMillan the win.
Winning pitcher Teagan Piechnick went 3-for-3 with a double and four runs scored and Conor Coleman made a game-saving defensive play in the seventh to secure the lead.
• Senior left-hander Josh Lapiana threw a three-hit shutout and struck out 13 as host Chartiers Valley edged Trinity 2-0 in Section 3-AAA.
“He was a crafty lefty,” Trinity coach Scott Henson said of Lapiana, who did not issue a walk. “He kept us off balance. We hit a couple of balls hard, but they were right at the center fielder and right at the shortstop.”
Chartiers Valley (2-0, 5-2) took a 1-0 lead with a run in the bottom of the second inning on a single, two passed balls and an RBI-groundout by Dominic Costello. The Colts added an insurance run in the fourth inning.
Trinity, which did not have a runner advance to third base against Lapiana, falls to 0-2 in section and 3-4 overall.
• Junior pitcher Dylan Dhans threw a four-hit shutout and made a pair of first-inning runs by Burgettstown hold up as the Blue Devils defeated host Beth-Center 2-0 in Section 2-AA.
Dhans struck out five and walked two as Burgettstown improved to 2-1 in the section and 3-2 overall. The Blue Devils had three of their five hits in the first inning, when they scored the game’s only runs. The Blue Devils’ defense also helped Dhans as they did not commit an error and threw out two B-C baserunners at third base.
Beth-Center (0-3, 1-5) had four hits in the game, with three coming in a span of the first four batters of the game. The Bulldogs failed to score in the first inning and Dhans held them to one hit the rest of the way.
• Devin Braddock’s two-run homer capped a three-run top of the seventh inning as Brownsville rallied to defeat host Fort Cherry 9-8 in a Section 2-AA game.
Brownsville (4-1, 5-3) led 6-4 before Fort Cherry (0-3, 0-3) scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to take an 8-6 lead.
Tim Ryan and Taylor May also homered and Brice Shea hit two doubles for the Faclons, who have won four in a row.
Half of Fort Cherry’s eight hits went for extra bases, including a triple by Koltan Kobrys. Austin Wood, Matt Heslin and Nick Cook each had a double. The Rangers fell to 0-3, 0-3, with all three losses coming in one-run games.
• Carmen Jansante hit a three-run walkoff homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to give Bethel Park a 4-3 victory over visiting Peters Township in a Section 5-AAAA game.
The home run came after Peters Township (1-1, 3-3) had scored two runs in the top of the ninth to forge a 3-1 lead.
Jansante’s home run spoiled a fine pitching performance by PT starter Max Augenstein, who gave up nine hits and did not walk a batter in throwing a complete game. He struck out six.
Both teams scored single runs in the sixth inning. PT’s run came on a solo homer by Tim Swoope. The Indians then took the lead in the top of the ninth. Mitch Bianco led off with a walk and advanced to third on Brett McIntosh’s single. Cameron Asbell gave PT the lead with a run-scoring single, and Ryan Tassone, who doubled earlier in the game, dropped down a suicide squeeze bunt that scored pinch-runner Nick Thomas and made the score 3-1.
A bunt single started the ninth-inning comeback for Bethel Park (1-1, 3-3) and a one-out single set up Jansante’s game-winning homer.
• Kaleb Susko hit an inside-the-park three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth to secure a 6-5 victory for Chartiers-Houston over Bentworth in a Section 2-AA game.
The win moved the Bucs to 3-1 overall and 2-1 in the section.
Matt Vickless and T.J. Kurutz each hit a double for Bentworth (1-3, 5-3).
• Tyler Godwin went 4-for-4 with two doubles and two runs to propel South Fayette to a 12-4 victory over Waynesburg in Section 3-AAA.
Justin Foreman and Logan Sharp each had a triple for the Lions (1-0, 4-3). Hayde Orler doubled.
Aaron Hill and Joel Rohanna doubled for Waynesburg (1-2, 3-4).
• Winning pitcher Santino Paris struck out 15 and Avella scored in all but one inning to take a 7-2 victory over Jefferson-Morgan in a Section 1-A game.
Paris also hit a two-run homer in a three-run sixth for the Eagles (1-1, 2-1). Dean Hodgdon and Cody Dobbin each hit a double.
Logan Bowman doubled for J-M (1-2, 1-6).