Senior third baseman Kirsten Stoneking went 2-for-4 and drove in two runs, and Jefferson-Morgan cut short a late West Greene rally, as the Rockets held on for an 8-5 victory in a key Section 2-A game Tuesday.
The Rockets (6-1, 7-1) held a one-run lead entering the seventh inning when Autumn Tedrow, who hit a double earlier in the game, led off with a single. Reagan Rush reached on an error and Stoneking followed with a two-run single to give Jefferson-Morgan a three-run lead. J-M’s Morgan Simkovich and Jessica Taylor also drove in runs in the seventh. West Greene (4-2, 5-5) scored two runs in the bottom of the inning.
Autumn Widdup went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI for West Greene.
Winning pitcher Madison Ludrosky struck out 13.
• Delaney Elling had four hits, including a double, and drove in five runs to lead undefeated Trinity to a 14-3 Section 2-AAA win over Ringgold.
Haley Justice added three hits, including a double, while Addison Barr and Olivia Gray doubled for the Hillers (3-0, 7-0). Paige Gallentine was the winning pitcher.
Ringgold falls to 2-4, 2-4.
• Chartiers-Houston scored eight runs in the first inning and never looked back as the Bucs defeated Fort Cherry, 16-0, in a four-inning Section 2-AA game.
Kayla Alderson went 2-for-3 with two RBI, Jessica Blumen also drove in two runs and Macie Kesneck drove in three for Chartiers-Houston (3-2, 5-4). Kassie Kesneck was the winning pitcher.
• Winning pitcher Erica Burns doubled and Carmichaels scored 15 runs in the second inning for a 16-1 three-inning Section 2-A win over Mapletown.
Carmichaels improved to 5-1, 7-1.
Jordan Adams doubled for Mapletown (1-5, 1-5).
• Casey Hite allowed just three hits to lead Bentworth to an 8-2 Section 2-AA win over Beth-Center.
Aubrey Yates scored three runs for the Bearcats (3-3, 5-6).
Abby Gustovich took the loss for Beth-Center (3-2, 3-4).
• Jordan Cullison and Cheyenne Winters combined to drive in six runs, helping Burgettstown dispose of Avella, 11-1, in Section 1-A.
Cullison went 2-for-3 with a triple and three RBI and Winters was 3-for-3 with three RBI for Burgettstown (6-0, 8-3). Paige Sherman went 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI. Winning pitcher Bry Lonick struck out nine and gave up just two hits.
Dena Simonelli drove in the only run for Avella (1-2, 1-3).
• Hannah Gibbons and Taylor Staley combined for five RBI and four extra-base hits as Waynesburg defeated Washington 14-0 in a five-inning Section 2-AA game.
Gibbons was 2-for-3 with a home run, double and three RBI. Staley was 2-for-4 with a double, triple and two RBI to lead the Raiders’ 12-hit attack. Jenna Henry and Emily Luckey also doubled for Waynesburg (3-1, 4-6) to back the winning pitching of Jordan Moore.
Alanna Ammon had double for Wash High (1-4, 1-5).
• Jen Tilghman came within one out of throwing a no-hitter and Charleroi snapped a two-game losing streak with an 8-0 victory over winless Greensburg Central Catholic in Section 4-AA.
Tilghman had a no-hitter until giving up a single with two outs in the top of the seventh inning. Morgan Riley went 3-for-4 with a triple to lead Charleroi (4-1, 6-2) at the plate. Jordan Swarmer also was 3-for-4, Kaitlyn McCann drove in four runs and Lynsey Wrtight had two RBI.