WAYNESBURG – The Rotary Club of Waynesburg is seeking applications from qualified students for the “Service Above Self” scholarships.
The scholarships will be awarded to Greene County students who demonstrate leadership in the community through his or her actions. The applications will be read and scored by a panel of impartial Rotary members. The two students with the highest scores will be presented with a check for $1,000 each by the Rotary Club of Waynesburg.
The deadline to apply is May 15.
Application requirements are:
• The applicant must be a resident of Greene County, who is receiving a high school diploma or GED in the current year.
• The applicant must be accepted at a post-secondary school of education for the fall after graduation. There is no requirement as to the type of school or years of study.
• The applicant must demonstrate the ability to complete the chosen post-secondary course of study.
• The applicant must write a short essay (no more than 400 words), on what the Rotary motto, “Service Above Self,” means to them.
• The applicant must list community service experiences, including dates and a brief description, if warranted. Also include any school organization memberships and any work experience, if applicable.
• The applicant must provide two letters of recommendation (no relatives). One letter must be from a teacher or school official. The second letter also may be from a teacher or school official but also may be from an employer, pastor, agency director where the applicant volunteered or another adult who has knowledge of the student’s qualifications. It is helpful if the letter of recommendation addresses the student’s commitment to community service.
Completed applications should be mailed to: “Service Above Self” Scholarship, Rotary Club of Waynesburg, c/o Kelly A. Stepp, Esquire, 62 W. High St.,Waynesburg PA 15370.