Softball: McGuffey holds off Carmichaels in pitchers’ duel
Cassie Weiss threw a two-hitter and pitched out of a seventh-inning jam as McGuffey edged visiting Carmichaels, 3-2, in a non-section game Monday.
Both team scored single runs in the third inning, but McGuffey’s Marlie Mounts belted a two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the fifth and the hit proved to be the difference in the game.
Carmichaels pulled to within 3-2 in the top of the seventh on Katie Mays’ run-scoring double, but Weiss got the game’s final out as the Mikes (7-2) left a runner in scoring position. Weiss finished with 12 strikeouts.
Moriah McGuire doubled for McGuffey (9-1). Losing pitcher Erica Burns, who struck out eight and threw a five-hitter, had a run-scoring triple.
• West Allegheny took advantage of five Ringgold errors to overcome an early four-run deficit and defeat the Rams 11-4 in Section 2-AAA.
Ringgold (2-5, 2-5) led 4-0 after in the fourth inning when West Allegheny (5-2, 5-2) mounted its comeback, eventually taking the lead in the fifth inning at 5-4.
Kara Richards had a triple and Lauren Hollis doubled for Ringgold. Brittany Zeigler tripled and Rachel McLaughlin had a double for West Allegheny. Winning pitcher Maria Kirkpatrick struck out eight but gave up 11 hits.
• Tiffany Ross belted a three-run homer in the bottom of the first inning and Waynesburg went on to a 15-3 victory over visiting Fort Cherry in Section 2-AA.
Winning pitcher Emma Ricciuti struck out five and did not issue a walk. Hannah Gibbons had a double for the Raiders, who remained in second place in the section. Ross finished with four RBI.
Fort Cherry is 0-6, 0-8.
• Camryn Dugan pitched three shutout innings to lead Jefferson-Morgan past Clay-Battelle, 15-0, in a non-section game.
The Rockets (8-1) scored seven runs in the first, five in the second and three in the third. Morgan Gamble hit a double for J-M and Reagan Rush had a triple. Dugan struck out five batters.
• Chartiers-Houston scored 16 runs over its final three innings to defeat host Washington 16-5 in a Section 2-AA game.
Washington (1-5, 1-6) led 1-0 after two innings but C-H (4-2, 6-4) took control of the game by scoring five times in the third.
Megan Kraushaar and Brittany Blumen had doubles for C-H. Kassie Kesneck was the winning pitcher.
Washington had eight hits that included six for extra bases. Gabby Bocanegra tripled, Jaime Moore had two doubles, and Morgan Bainer and Morgan Pattison doubled.
• Serra scored in every inning and had eight extra-base hits in a 17-1 five-inning win at Mapletown in Section 2-A.
Winning pitcher Witney Larko threw a four-hitter and doubled, Lauren Sturnik was 3-for-4 with a double, and Amy McNeill and Nicole Jezerski tripled to lead the Eagles (4-3, 5-3).
Lauren Adams had a double and Rachel Hartley was 2-for-2 for Mapletown (1-6, 1-6).
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. student dies | Observer-Reporter
- 4Claysville home gutted by fire; three dogs perish | Observer-Reporter
- 5`Finding Zink´ a success | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union