Softball: C-H wins with Kesneck shutout
Winning pitcher Kassie Kesneck threw a three-hit shutout Thursday and also tripled to lead Chartiers-Houston to a 14-0 five-inning victory over visiting Washington in Section 2-AA.
Kesneck struck out four as the Bucs improved to 5-3 in the section and 7-5 overall. Kayla Alderson and Jalynn Myers each doubled for C-H.
• Jasmin Fuqua had another huge offensive game and Paige Galentine pitched a no-hitter during Trinity’s sweep of winless Carrick, 21-0 and 15-0, in Section 2-AAA.
Fuqua went 3-for-3 with a pair of three-run homers, a double and six RBI in the opener. Fuqua had three of Trinity’s eight extra-base hits. Olivia Gray also smacked a three-run homer, Delaney Elling hit a two-run homer, and Brooke Beck, Halie Justice and Madison Hornack each had a double.
Galentine struck out four and issued only one walk.
Kaitlyn Campbell was the winning pitcher in the second game, throwing a five-hit shutout.
Trinity is 5-1 in section and 9-1 overall. Carrick is 0-7, 0-7.
• South Fayette had too much Ashley Iagnemma for Ringgold.
Iagnemma threw a three-hit shutout, struck out 12 batters and drove in five runs as the Lions defeated the Rams 14-0 in a five-inning Section 2-AAA game.
The win keeps South Fayette in first place in the section at 6-1, 7-1.
Iagnemma and freshman Sara Jubas each had a double for the Lions and Emily Bryan had two hits and two RBI.
Ringgold fell to 2-6, 2-6.
• Giorgiana Zeremenko hit a solo home run and Tara Fowler pitched a one-hit shutout as Section 4-AAAA leader Canon-McMillan cruised to a 10-0 five-inning victory over winless Mt. Lebanon on the Big Macs’ field.
Canon-McMillan (6-1, 9-2) scored in every inning and had 14 hits. Abby McCartney was 2-for-2 with two doubles and three RBI. Linda Rush also was 2-for-2 and doubled. Olivia Lorusso also contributed a double.
In addition to her pitching, Fowler went 3-for-3.
• Charleroi remained tied for first place in Section 4-AA with an 11-5 victory over visiting Brentwood.
The Cougars (5-1, 7-2) who share first place with Steel Valley, forged an 8-0 lead after two innings. Winning pitcher Anjie Tilghman and Morgan Riley each went 3-for-4 with a triple to lead the Cougars’ 14-hit attack. Carina Gottheld also was 3-for-4 and had a double, and Jordan Swarmer contributed a double.
• Bailey Bennington struck out 10 and walked only one to lead West Greene past California, 14-3, in Section 2-A.
The sophomore starting pitcher added four RBI for the Pioneers (5-2, 6-5). Madison Raber hit two doubles and Hannah Reed’s three-run triple in the fourth inning helped West Greene cut the game short at five innings.
• Alicia Schultz hit a two-run homer in the second inning and Morgan Vickless added three RBI to lead Bentworth past Waynesburg, 12-1, in a five-inning Section 2-AA game.
Casey Hite eawas the winning pitcher for the Bearcats (4-3, 7-6), and Micaela Danley, Jamie Schrock and Maddy Alauzen hit doubles for Bentworth.
Waynesburg (5-2, 7-6) had just three hits and committed five errors.
• Maria Joseph hit two doubles and Section 2-A leader Frazier scored 10 runs in the third inning en route to a 13-3 victory in five innings over host Mapletown.
Frazier (7-1, 7-2) led 2-1 when it put together its 10-run inning, which supported winning pitcher Alena Blaszczak. Frazier has a half-game lead over Carmichaels (6-1 in section). The Commodores host Carmichaels Monday.
Mapletown (1-8, 1-8) had five hits, including a triple by Jordan Adams and a double by Abby Shipley.
• Peters Township snapped a two-game losing streak by sweeping a Section 4-AAAA doubleheader from Brashear, 2-0 and 8-5. No game details were available.
The Indians are 6-2, 6-5.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union