Softball: Carmichaels edges in front in Section 2
Carmichaels took a half-game lead over Frazier in Section 2-A thanks to a 16-strikeout performance by Erica Burns that helped produce a 10-1 victory.
Katie Mays hit a solo home run for the Mikes (7-1, 9-2), Emma Lowry had two doubles and Burns and Amanda Brown each had one apiece.
Frazier fell to 7-3, including 7-2 in the section.
• Bethel Park scored in every inning but one and smashed 25 hits to take a 16-8 victory from Peters Township in a Section 4-AAAA game.
Julia Sherwin had a double, triple and three RBI for the Blackhawks (5-3, 5-3). Haley Reid went 5-for-5 with a triple, three RBI and three runs. Kavonna Anderson had three hits, including a double, and Haley Lazzari was 4-for-5 with a double and three RBI.
Marissa Wickstrom went 5-for-5 and drove in two runs for PT (6-3, 6-6). Carly Konopka had three hits, including a double and two RBI. Alexis McKnight homered and drove in two runs.
Kellyn Perich and Kylie Hartbauer each had a double.
• Ashley Iagnemma came within a single of hitting for the cycle in South Fayette’s 9-1 victory over Burgettstown in a non-section game.
Iagnemma had a double, triple and home run, drove in five runs and scored three for the Lions (8-1). Emily Bryan hit a two-run homer.
Bryanna Lonick tripled for Burgettstown (9-4).
• Madison Ludrosky struck out 11 batters and pitched seven shutout innings to lead Jefferson-Morgan past Serra Catholic, 4-0, in a Section 2-A game.
Morgan Simkovich hit a solo home run for the Rockets (7-2, 9-2), who hold third place in the section. Jefferson-Morgan faces Frazier today in a critical section game. The Rockets could move into second place with a win.
Whitney Larko took the loss for Serra (4-4, 5-4) after striking out six and walking two.
• Alexa Vatakis drove in the winning run with two outs in the bottom of the eighth in Monessen’s 3-2 victory over Charleroi in a non-section game.
Cara Grogan had a double for Monessen (4-7, 4-7) and Shelby Minardi allowed only two runs.
Morgan Riley homered for Charleroi (7-3, 7-3) and losing pitcher Jen Tilghman doubled.
• Avella took advantage of 17 walks to rout Cornell 19-2 in a three-inning Section 1-A game.
Sunnie Liggett and Dena Simonelli each had a triple for the Eagles (3-3, 3-5). Abby Dobbin doubled.
Kionna Banks drove in two runs for Cornell (1-6, 1-6).
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union