No injuries in West Brownsville house fire
A fire that traveled into the attic of a West Brownsville home was tough for firefighters to attack Thursday afternoon.
Scott Beveridge / Observer-Reporter
Order a Print
WEST BROWNSVILLE – The state police fire marshal was summoned Thursday to investigate a fire that heavily damaged a house and killed two cats in West Brownsville.
Assistant borough fire Chief Chad King said the resident, Betsy Crawford, was not home when the fire was reported about 1:30 p.m. No one was injured during the fire, he said.
King said flames were shooting out of the side of the two-story brick and frame house when firefighters arrived at 422 Main St.
Later, they were met with heavy smoke when the blaze traveled into the attic, making it difficult to extinguish, he said.
“It was rocking,” King said. “Our guys did their best to knock it down.”
King said the house was gutted, but still stable.
“It’s a shock,” said Crawford’s stepdaughter, Georgetta Staley, also of West Brownsville.
The borough fire department was assisted at the scene by firefighters from California, Brownsville South Side, Hiller and Denbo-Vesta No. 6.