Softball: Home runs pave way for C-H win
Kassie Kesneck hit a two-run home run and Sabrina Stankus added a three-run shot to lead Chartiers-Houston past Bentworth, 7-4, in Section 2-AA.
Kesneck’s two-run home run in the first gave the Buccaneers (6-3, 8-5) the lead before the Bearcats (6-4, 9-7) scored four runs in the third.
Stankus’ three-run home run gave Chartiers-Houston the lead for good.
• Waynesburg took advantage of six errors by Beth-Center in the sixth inning and Tara Staley drove in five runs to lead the Raiders past the Bulldogs, 16-5, in Section 2-AA.
Beth-Center (4-5, 4-8) took a 4-2 lead after the first inning, but did not score again until getting one run in the bottom of the seventh. Staley led Waynesburg (7-2, 8-7) with two triples and a double.
The Raiders sealed the victory with a six-run sixth, when the Bulldogs committed six errors. Jordan Moore earned the win for Waynesburg, which holds second place in the section, and Abby Gustovich took the loss for Beth-Center.
• Cassie Weiss struck out 15 of the 17 batters she faced and Carae Wagner drove in five runs to lead McGuffey past Washington, 12-0, in Section 2-AA.
Weiss pitched a complete game one-hitter and did not walk a batter for the Highlanders (10-2, 13-2). Moriah McGuier added a double for McGuffey and Amanda Ammon took the loss for the Prexies (1-8, 2-9).
• Abby McCartney hit three home runs and finished with six RBI to lead Canon-McMillan past Chartiers Valley, 15-9, in Section 4-AAAA.
McCartney added a triple for the Big Macs (9-1, 12-2) and went 4-for-5 with six RBI. Olivia Lorusso added a solo home run, and Linda Rush went 3-for-5 with four RBI for Canon-McMillan.
Chartiers Valley (7-4, 7-4) tied the Big Macs, 7-7, after the third inning, but was outscored 8-2 over the next four.
• Trinity hit three home runs on the way to a 10-0, five-inning win over Albert Gallatin in a non-section game.
Jasmine Fuqua hit a grand slam, Hali Justice hit a two-run shot and Gray a solo blast for the Hillers (13-1). Brooke Beck tripled.
• South Fayette needed just three innings to defeat Carrick, 19-0, in Section 2-AAA.
Ashley Iagnemma did not allow a hit, hit a home run and drove in three for the Lions (8-1, 10-1). Courtney Blocher also homered. Sara Jubas had a double, two singles, drove in two and scored three times.
• Frazier scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to stop West Greene 6-5 in a Section 2-A game.
Losing pitcher Bailey Bennington struck out nine and hit a solo home run and a single for the Pioneers (5-5, 6-8).
• Charleroi Lady Cougars moved into first place in Section 4-AA with a 6-4 victory over Steel Valley.
Jen Tilghman struck out seven and walked two for the win. Jordan Swarmer tripled in a run and Jen Tilghman doubled and drove in three for the Cougars (7-1, 9-3).
Carley Rossi was 3-4 and Amanda Barnett tripled for Steel Valley (6-2, 7-3).
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union