New River Gorge fire contained, trail reopens
GLEN JEAN, W.Va. (AP) – Firefighters have fully contained a wildfire that’s been burning in the New River Gorge National River for about a week.
Park ranger Leah Perkowski-Sisk said Sunday that some material is still smoldering. But she says it doesn’t threaten the containment lines.
The Fern Creek Fire burned about 130 acres and prompted the temporary closure of the Endless Wall Trail and associated climbing areas.
Perkowski-Sisk says both the trail and the climbing areas have reopened.
The fire was reported April 20. Perkowsi-Sisk says firefighters will continue to monitor the fire as a precaution.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 3Reliving memories of Basle Theater | Observer-Reporter
- 4Avella store robbed at gunpoint | Observer-Reporter
- 5Rachel Shoaf gets 30 years for murder of Skylar Neese | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union