Former Browns’ QB pleads to lesser charge

Bookmark and Share
Make text smaller Make text larger

Photos

Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar has pleaded no contest to a lesser charge after blaming knee and ankle surgeries for not performing a field sobriety test during a traffic stop last year.


Kosar had been charged with drunken-driving in September, but Monday he entered a plea to reckless operation and received a fine and suspended jail sentence.


Police said officers smelled a strong odor of alcohol when Kosar was pulled over in Solon, in suburban Cleveland.


A message seeking comment was left with Kosar’s attorney.


Kosar has publicly talked about how head injuries suffered during his NFL career have affected his speech, making him sometimes slur his words.


The Browns last week said Kosar was being removed as a color commentator for preseason games.


Giants sign QB: The New York Giants have signed quarterback Rusty Smith, who played the last four seasons with the Tennessee Titans.


A backup for the Titans, Smith played in only three regular-season games with one start. He has not gotten on the field since 2012.


Smith has completed 23 of 45 passes for 234 yards, no touchdowns and four interceptions.


He is the fifth quarterback on New York’s roster, joining starter Eli Manning, 2013 backups Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib, and Josh Freeman, who was signed last week.


Manning had arthroscopic ankle surgery earlier this month and is sidelined for another few weeks. Painter underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last Friday and recovery time is approximately four weeks.


Browns considering signing Young: As they contemplate choosing a quarterback early in the upcoming draft, the Browns will take a look at a former first-round pick.


Free agent quarterback Vince Young is taking a physical with the team Monday and is expected to participate in Cleveland’s minicamp this week. Browns general manager Ray Farmer said the team has been tracking Young, who hasn’t played in an NFL regular-season game since 2011 with Philadelphia. He has spent parts of the past two offseasons with Buffalo and Green Bay.


Young, selected third overall by Tennessee in 2006, is 31-19 as a starter.


“Our interest in Vince is that he’s been productive and he’s had success in the National Football League,” Farmer said at a predraft news conference. “We wanted to take the opportunity to get a chance to see where he was. We’ve been kind of following him through the offseason and he had been doing some things that kind of caught our eye and made us kind of take note and we wanted to see what that looked like in his own time frame.”


Farmer said the Browns are also bringing in Tyler Thigpen, who last played for Buffalo in 2012.


The Browns need to add a veteran to back up Brian Hoyer, who is penciled in as the starter heading into this season but is coming off knee surgery. Other than Hoyer, the only quarterback on Cleveland’s roster is Alex Tanney, who was signed late last season as the Browns were hit hard by injuries at quarterback.


Man sues NFL for $50 million over ticket policy: A Nevada man who claims an illegal ticket policy kept him from attending San Francisco’s NFL playoff game at Seattle in January is suing the league and others for $50 million for alleged “economic discrimination.”


John E. Williams III of Las Vegas says in a federal lawsuit against the NFL, the Seahawks, Ticketmaster and others that he was denied a chance to buy tickets to the NFC Championship Game under a sales policy that made them available only in selected markets.


Williams contends the policy was intended to ensure fans of the Seahawks would have an advantage over fans of their rival 49ers in the purchase of tickets for the Jan. 16 matchup at their stadium known for its boisterous, home-field advantage.


The NFL has declined comment on the suit


Bookmark and Share Make text smaller Make text larger
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular
What do you think?