Baseball: California tops Carmichaels
Ronnie Baron had a key RBI single in a four-run seventh inning as California rallied to beat Carmichaels, 6-5, and clinch the Section 1-A title Tuesday.
Garritt Woodburn was the winning pitcher for the unbeaten Trojans (10-0, 16-0). Jake Columbushad a double.
Mike Blasinsky homered for Carmichaels (7-2, 10-2), which would have had a chance to tie California for the section title with a victory.
• Jonathan Spina scattered six hits and also doubled as Washington clinched the Section 2-AA title with a 4-1 win over Chartiers-Houston.
Washington (12-2, 14-4) scored one run in the first and three runs in the second inning.
Doug Dinardo homered and Troy Whitfield doubled for Chartiers-Houston (8-5, 10-5), while Alec Ferrari was the losing pitcher.
Earleri in the day, Washington defeated Burgettstown 11-4 in the completion of a suspended game. The game resumed in the fifth inning.
Spina and Chris Gouin double for Wash High, backign the winning pitching of Lincoln Key.
• Teagan Piechnick scored on a fielder’s choice in the bottom of the fourth inning after Bethel Park had rallied to tie the game as the Big Macs clinched the final playoff spot in Section 5-AAAA with a 7-6 victory in a game that was suspended on both Saturday and Monday because of rain.
Jake Trainor was the winning pitcher for Canon-McMillan (6-4, 12-5). Piechnick had three hits and scored three times.
Connor Nave doubled for Bethel Park (5-5, 9-8), which had rallied from a 6-0 deficit after two innings to tie the score at 6-6 through the top half of the fourth inning.
• Josh Mavilla beat out an infield hit with two outs in the bottom of the seventh with runners on second and third, both of whom scored on the play, as Charleroi rallied to beat Burgettstown, 5-4, and stay alive in the Section 2-AA playoff race.
Josiah Fisher picked up the win for the Cougars (8-5, 9-7), who pulled into a tie with Chartiers-Houston for third place in the section.
Charleroi faces second-place Brownsville (10-3, 12-5) today while Chartiers-Houston plays Fort Cherry (3-9, 3-10).
• Matt Riggle and Lucas Zelie both hit doubles, and Beth-Center scored six runs in the first inning en route to a 14-4 Section 2-AA win over Fort Cherry.
Lane Ziker was the winning pitcher for Beth-Center (6-7, 7-10).
Colton Kobrys doubled for Fort Cherry (3-9, 3-12).
• Joe Fawcett hit a two-run homer in the top of the seventh as Keystone Oaks scored four runs in the final inning to beat McGuffey, 10-6, in a Section 3-AAA game.
Nick Riggle also homered for Keystone Oaks (6-4, 8-7).
Austin Thomas tripled and Matt Chambers doubled for McGuffey (1-9, 1-12).
• Clay-Battelle (W.Va.) scored four runs each in the second and fourth innings of an 11-6 non-section victory over Mapletown.
Ben Boone doubled for Mapletown (2-12).
J.C. Watson hit a home run and a double to power Pliska’s to a 16-8 victory over Ace Sporting Goods in the Washington Pony League.
Lane Zook also hit a home run for Pliska’s, backing the winning pitching of Kyle Steele, who hit two doubles. Robert Quinn also doubled for the winners.
Justin Butka had the only extra-base hit, a double, for Ace Sporting Goods.
With the recent heavy rains that have inundated the area, the WPIAL has extended the deadline to Saturday for when high school baseball and softball regular seasons must be completed.
The WPIAL softball committee will meet Thursday to decide pairings for next week’s playoff schedule, and the baseball committee will meet Friday, though teams have until the end of the week to complete their section schedules.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union