Wheatcroft two strokes off lead
Washington native Steve Wheatcroft shot a first-round 66 and is two strokes off the lead at the Web.com Tour’s Rex Hospital Open at TPC Wakefield Plantation in Raleigh, N.C.
Wheatcroft, a Trinity High School graduate, is two strokes behind co-leaders Carlos Ortiz and Colt Knost.
• Dustin Johnson had played Colonial only once before, six years ago when he didn’t even make it to the final round.
In his return to Hogan’s Alley, Johnson took a one-stroke lead after the first round.
Johnson shot a bogey-free 5-under 65 on Thursday, driving a lot of 3-irons off the tees into the fairways and hitting 16 of 18 greens in regulation.
• Joe Durant birdied his final hole for a 6-under 65 and a one-stroke lead at the Senior PGA Championship.
Making his third Champions Tour start after turning 50 in April 7, the four-time PGA Tour winner had seven birdies and a bogey at Harbor Shores.
• Catriona Matthew took the first-round lead in the Airbus LPGA Classic, holing a bunker shot for an eagle and finishing with an 8-under 64.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 2Angel Ridge Animal Rescue cited for inhumane conditions | Observer-Reporter
- 3Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 4Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 5Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter