McMurray man drowns in Yough River kayak accident
A McMurray man kayaking the Youghiogheny River in Fayette County drowned Monday afternoon after he rolled over and was submerged underwater, state police in Belle Vernon said.
William Philips, 61, was kayaking on the river in Lower Tyrone Township near Perryopolis when the boat overturned about 1:30 p.m., police said.
People boating on the river turned his kayak upright, and emergency responders attempted to resuscitate Philips at the scene.
However, he was pronounced dead at Uniontown Hospital.
State police are investigating, but said the death appears to be an accident.
Perry Township volunteer firefighters and Fayette EMS assisted at the scene.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Retired Consol worker wins religious discrimination suit | Observer-Reporter
- 2Local manager gets top McDonald´s award | Observer-Reporter
- 3Crosby-less Penguins rally for 5-3 win over Winnipeg | Observer-Reporter
- 4News, Sports, Events, & Community
- 5Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter