Canonsburg apartment damaged in fire

Bookmark and Share
Make text smaller Make text larger

An apartment at 111 E. College St. in Canonsburg was damaged by fire late Sunday afternoon when one of the residents reportedly caught clothing on fire while using a lighter to look in a closet.


Canonsburg police said Sherona Dixon, 24, who lived in Apartment 1, was using a lighter to look for something in the closet when she caught an article of clothing on fire. She told police and firefighters she tried to put the fire out, but the smoke got to be too much so she left the residence.


Firefighters entered Belfiore Vending, which occupies the first floor of the building, to make sure the fire did not extend into the business.


While checking the apartment after the fire was extinguished, police said they found suspected marijuana smoking pipes and rolling papers. Joseph A. Dixon, who also lives in the apartment, will be charged with possession of paraphernalia, police said. The charge will be sent by summons from the office of District Judge David Mark.


The state police fire marshal was called to investigate.


Bookmark and Share Make text smaller Make text larger
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular
O-R's Poll Question of the Day