Texas wins, 1-0, stays alive at CWS
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — C.J. Hinojosa broke the College World Series’ long home run drought in the seventh inning, Chad Hollingsworth and Travis Duke limited UC Irvine to four hits, and Texas beat the Anteaters 1-0 in an elimination game Wednesday night.
Hinojosa became the first player to homer at the CWS in 115 innings, since Mississippi State’s Hunter Renfroe did it against Oregon State on June 21, 2013. It was Hinojosa’s second homer of the season.
The Longhorns (45-20) advance to meet Vanderbilt on Friday. They would need to beat the Commodores (48-19) twice to reach next week’s best-of-three finals.
UC Irvine (41-25) went 1-2 in its surprise CWS appearance that came about after it upset No. 1 national seed Oregon State as a No. 3 regional seed and swept Oklahoma State on the road in super regionals.
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2'Finding Zink' a success | Observer-Reporter
- 3Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 4Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
- 5Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union