Conflicting accounts given in Greene homicide case

June 30, 2014
Randy Flynn Anderson

ALEPPO – Police said the man charged in the death of Terry S. Weyrick, 42, of Cameron, W.Va., in Springhill Township early Friday morning, and another man present at the time of the incident, gave contradictory statements of events leading up to and including the fatal shooting.

Randy Flynn Anderson, 52, of 472 Morford Road, Aleppo, was charged with criminal homicide, persons possessing a prohibited weapon, abuse of a corpse and tampering with or fabricating evidence.

According to police, Anderson said he, Weyrick and Herbert David Long, who was staying with Anderson, were drinking at Anderson’s residence before the shooting.

Long allegedly told police at about 1:30 a.m. Weyrick grabbed Anderson by his beard and dragged him by it. Long said Anderson then punched Weyrick in the mouth, and they continued to fight before Long asked them to stop, which they did. Long told police Anderson then left the room and came back with his rifle, according to an affidavit of probable cause prepared by Trooper Daniel Barnhart.

Long said Anderson pointed the rifle at Weyrick, who was sitting at the kitchen table, and pulled the trigger but the gun just clicked. He said Anderson then racked the bolt on the rifle, pointed it at Weyrick and shot him in the head. Long told police Anderson turned to him and said, “I think I ought a shoot you, too,” according to the affidavit.

Long told police he then helped Anderson drag Weyrick’s body outside and put it into Weyrick’s truck. Anderson then drove it up the road “a piece.” Police said Long told them he also helped Anderson clean up blood at the scene.

In his initial statement, Anderson told police Long asked to see his gun. He said he tripped while carrying it, causing it to fire and striking Weyrick in the head. In a second interview, police said Anderson changed his story.

Faced with Long’s account, Anderson told police Weyrick was bullying him for some time. Police said Anderson told them Weyrick pulled his beard and punched him in the head so he went to his bedroom and got his rifle, a Marlin .22-caliber Magnum, to scare him. Anderson said Weyrick saw the gun and uttered an obscenity.

According to the affidavit, Anderson said he then pushed the bolt forward, loading the gun’s chamber and pulled the trigger. Anderson allegedly told police he was aiming at the window but the bullet struck Weyrick in the head. Police said Anderson admitted there was no attempt to render aid to Weyrick and he tried to cover up the incident by moving the body and cleaning the blood at his residence. The weapon allegedly used to shoot Weyrick was recovered by police in the weeds behind Anderson’s residence, where they said he told them he threw it.

A preliminary hearing for Anderson is scheduled for July 8 at 1:30 p.m. before Greene County Magisterial District Judge Lou Dayich. Anderson is being held in the Greene County jail without bond.

Tara Kinsell started her career in journalism with the National Geographic Insider Magazine and the Gaithersburg Gazette Newspaper in Montgomery County, Md. Tara has written and photographed sports, features and news stories for the Herald Standard, Greene County Messenger and Albert Gallatin Weekly. She holds degrees in journalism and graphic design from Waynesburg College, now Waynesburg University, and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, respectively.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus