Greene homicide case held for court

July 8, 2014
Homicide suspect Randy Anderson is led into his preliminary hearing Tuesday afternoon by Trooper Charles Morrison of the state police forensic services division. - Tara Kinsell / Observer-Reporter Order a Print

WAYNESBURG – A witness to the shooting death June 26 of Terry S. Weyrick, 42, of Cameron, W.Va., cried while offering testimony Tuesday at the preliminary hearing for Randy Flynn Anderson, 52, of 472 Morford Road, Aleppo, who is charged with firing the fatal shot after a night of drinking at Anderson’s home in Springhill Township.

At the conclusion of the hearing before District Judge Lou Dayich, Anderson was held for court on charges of homicide, possessing a firearm, abuse of a corpse and tampering or fabricating physical evidence.

Herbert David Long, 39, of Carnation Drive, Cameron, tearfully told the court about the events leading up to and including the shooting.

Long said he knew Anderson for about a week and was staying with him up until the time of the shooting. He said he had known Weyrick for roughly three weeks, noting he met both men through his employer, Bill Holt.

According to Long’s testimony, Anderson came home about 4:30 p.m. June 26 carrying a half-empty 30-pack of beer. Long said Anderson was intoxicated and stumbled on the stairs. Weyrick was out with his parents and did not return until approximately 5 p.m., carrying a bag containing six or seven cans of beer, Long said.

The three men were at Anderson’s kitchen table talking and drinking beer when Weyrick suddenly reached across the table and yanked Anderson’s beard, Long said. It wasn’t the first time Long witnessed Weyrick pulling Anderson’s beard, but it was the first time Long saw it become confrontational. He said Anderson pushed away from the table when his beard was pulled, flipped over a chair and punched Weyrick in the jaw. Weyrick then returned the punch, hitting Anderson in the jaw.

“Terry said, ‘I’ll shoot you dead if you hit me in the mouth again.’ I didn’t think anything of it. Randy would say, ‘kill you dead’ all the time. I always thought they were playing,” Long said. “I yelled, ‘enough,’ and they stopped.”

Anderson and Weyrick sat down and acted like nothing happened, Long said, resuming the conversation and drinking around the table. He couldn’t recall what they were discussing, but a while later, around dusk, he said Anderson left the room and returned with a .22-caliber Magnum rifle.

“Randy got up, went to the bedroom and came back with the rifle. He pointed it at the window and then turned it toward Terry. Randy pulled the trigger but nothing happened; it just clicked,” Long said. “Terry said, ‘That ain’t cool.’ I figured he (Randy) was just joking.”

Long said he looked down for a second and heard a bang and then saw Weyrick’s head hit the table.

“I said, ‘What did you do?’ and Randy said, ‘I shot him. I killed him. I ought to shoot you too,’” Long said. “He (Terry) was gasping for air, but I couldn’t do nothing. I was afraid I’d get shot. There wasn’t nothing I could do.”

Long said he feared for his life as Anderson allegedly kept the rifle nearby and a watchful eye on Long. He said they first carried Weyrick’s body outside and then Anderson poured bleach over the blood on the floor and had Long mop it up. Long said he volunteered to help out of fear.

Long said he eventually offered to help Anderson put Weyrick’s body into the SUV so he could try to get free. When Anderson drove the vehicle out of sight, Long said he grabbed the bags containing his clothing and fled into the woods.

“I knew he went left so I went right. I just wanted out of there. I didn’t know if he was coming back to shoot me,” Long said. “It took me a while to get out of the woods cause I didn’t know where I was at.”

Long testified he walked all the way to Cameron, approximately eight miles from the Anderson residence. By this time it was daylight, he said.

Long said he went to a friend’s house in Cameron and called Holt and 911 but couldn’t say in what order he had made the calls. He said Holt came to his residence to take Long to the police barracks.

Chief Deputy Coroner Mary Lewis testified the cause of death was from a single gunshot wound to the head. She said Weyrick was pronounced dead at 12:08 p.m. June 27 but told the court that was simply the time she had encountered the body, not an official time of death.

Investigating officer Trooper Daniel R. Barnhart explained the charge of possessing a weapon was the result of a 2007 felony conviction against Anderson which prohibited him from owning a firearm. He was found guilty of burglary charges during a jury trial and sentenced to 18 to 36 months in prison.

Barnhart said the rifle allegedly used to kill Weyrick was found in a weedy area at the edge of Anderson’s property. Barnhart testified investigators at the scene received information from troopers at the Waynesburg barracks regarding the location of the weapon based on a statement from Anderson.

Anderson was returned to Greene County jail without bond.

Tara Kinsell started her career in journalism with the National Geographic Insider Magazine and the Gaithersburg Gazette Newspaper in Montgomery County, Md. Tara has written and photographed sports, features and news stories for the Herald Standard, Greene County Messenger and Albert Gallatin Weekly. She holds degrees in journalism and graphic design from Waynesburg College, now Waynesburg University, and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, respectively.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus