Bethel Park woman drowns after trying to save son
A Bethel Park woman has died after attempting to rescue her son from drowning in Lake Erie. Kristen Stefan, 37, reportedly drowned off the shore of West Haven Beach near Westfield, N.Y. around 2:30 p.m. on July 9 after she attempted to save her son Tyler as he and a friend were swept away on an inner tube.
KDKA-TV reports the boys, 8 and 9, along with Stefan, were pushed into a cove below the rocky cliff shoreline and were able to climb to safety, but Tyler fell back into the water. Stefan then dove back in after her son vanished beneath the water. She was pulled from the water and rushed to the hospital where she was later pronounced dead. Tyler was being treated for hypothermia and is expected to be okay.
- 1Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
- 2Eighty Fourīs Ross Farm included in "crowd-funded" Super Bowl beer ad | Observer-Reporter
- 3Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 4Drivers advised to adhere to speed limit on I-70 | Observer-Reporter
- 5Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union