Fire extinguished at Center Township well site

Bookmark and Share
Make text smaller Make text larger

Photos

ROGERSVILLE – Four Greene County fire companies were called to a fire Monday afternoon when a faulty valve in a cylindrical sand container caused gas to leak and then ignite at a CNX Gas Co. well site off Lightner Run Road in Center Township.


Center Township Fire Chief Charlie Jones said firefighters from his department and an employee of CNX were able to shut off the value, stopping the flow of gas. “The fire had ignited some plastic and wood near the valve, and we quickly put that out,” Jones said.


The fire was at the company’s Green Hill 11 pad gas production unit, Kate O’Donovan, CNX spokeswoman said in an email response for comment.


“All four wells on-site have been safely shut in and secured. The situation has been contained, and all company personnel and contractors have been evacuated and accounted for with no injuries,” she said.


“There is no imminent danger to surrounding communities,” she said.


The Center, Morris, Richhill and Gray township volunteer fire companies were called to the scene about 3:15 p.m. Firefighters worked until 5:30 p.m.


Personnel from the state Department of Environmental Protection were at the site late Monday afternoon. The agency will evaluate the situation and make sure there are no problems that could effect public health of the environment, said Morgan Wagner, DEP spokeswoman.


Bookmark and Share Make text smaller Make text larger
comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
July
2014
Thursday
24
S M T W T F S
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
O-R's Poll Question of the Day