Man involved in fatal crash faces drug charges

Photo of Mike Jones
by Mike Jones
Staff writer
Photos by Mike Jones / Observer-Reporter
A state police trooper leads Jordan Jacobson to a cruiser after he was arraigned Friday on charges of dealing heroin and marijuana while free on bond awaiting trial for vehicular homicide. At right, Kelly Bowland, left, and Lisa Gregg, the mothers of the two men killed in the July 2013 crash for which Jacobson is charged, speak to reporters about the new charges levied Friday against Jacobson. Order a Print

Lisa Gregg and Kelly Bowland couldn’t bring themselves to speak to the McDonald man accused of driving recklessly a year ago in the crash that killed their sons, moments after he was arraigned Friday morning on new charges of dealing heroin and marijuana while out on bond awaiting trial for vehicular homicide.

“If he had any remorse, he wouldn’t be still out dealing drugs,” Bowland said. “There is finally justice for our boys. He shouldn’t have been out on bond at all.”

Jordan Jacobson, 20, of 108 Terrace St., faces multiple felony counts of possession with intent to deliver heroin and marijuana after state police said he sold the drugs on five separate occasions earlier this month in McDonald and Robinson Township. His arrest on drug charges by state police comes nearly one year to the day after investigators said Jacobson was speeding on Joffre-Bulger Road in Smith Township when he crashed, killing two men and injuring another person in the car.

“He killed two people,” Gregg said. “Our sons were hardworking boys, and he killed them.”

Dillon Gregg, 22, of Bulger, and Joseph Bowland, 20, of McDonald, died in the July 27, 2013, crash. Jacobson already faced two counts of vehicular homicide and aggravated assault in the crash, though more serious charges of vehicular homicide while DUI were dropped in April because a blood test investigators said showed him under the influence of marijuana was not administered properly and not permitted as evidence.

The victims’ mothers struggled to hold back their emotions at times as they watched Jacobson, wearing gym shorts and sandals, sitting just a few feet away from them inside the courtroom with his head down, looking at court documents.

Dillon’s father, Michael Gregg, opened the door for a state trooper as Jacobson was escorted into District Judge David Mark’s courtroom for the arraignment. Michael Gregg thanked Washington County District Attorney Gene Vittone and state police for their work on the case.

“They pursued it, and they got him,” Michael Gregg said of Vittone and state police. “It’s a day of relief. Even until today, this kid has not apologized or asked for forgiveness.”

At the same time, Michael Gregg blamed Smith Township police for “messing up” the crash investigation and drug test the parents said led to the more severe charges being dropped.

Vittone, who attended the arraignment, asked for a higher bond on the charges due to the previous case against Jacobson and because investigators said they found heroin inside the suspect’s home.

Mark arraigned Jacobson on five counts of possession with intent to deliver, along with charges of criminal use of a cellphone and corruption of minors. Police said he used a 17-year-old girl to make a delivery for him on one of the drug deals. Police added they used a confidential informant in the investigation.

Jacobson, who was previously free while awaiting trial on the fatal crash, was taken to Washington County jail on $250,000 cash bond for the drug charges. His preliminary hearing before Senior District Judge Jay Dutton is scheduled for 10 a.m. Aug. 5.

Jacobson declined to comment while leaving the courtroom. Gregg tried to comfort Bowland as the police cruiser left with Jacobson.

“Smile,” Gregg said to Bowland as they embraced each other. “It’s a good day.”