Couple accused of sexual assault; man apparently stabs self

July 31, 2014
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
State police and Chartiers Township police stand outside 611 Railroad St. in Chartiers Township, the home of Kimberly Campbell, 37, and Gary W. Bates, 43. The two are accused of sexually assaulting two females. Order a Print
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
Chartiers Township police Sgt. Ron Raymond escorts Kimberly Campbell, 37, to District Justice David Mark’s office Thursday morning for arraignment. Order a Print

When police served an arrest warrant on a Chartiers Township couple accused of sexually assaulting two teenage girls Thursday, the man came down the stairs to greet the detectives with a stab wound to the abdomen.

Chartiers police went to 611 Railroad St. about 9:30 a.m. to arrest Kimberly Campbell, 37, and Gary W. Bates, 43. The couple are accused of sexually assaulting two females, ages 13 and 19, April 1 and June 11 at their home in the village of Midland.

Police Chief James Horvath said detectives secured warrants for the arrests and had gone to the home to take the couple into custody.

“Upon knocking on the door, they were let inside by the female,” Horvath said of the woman later identified as Campbell. “When she was asked if anyone else was in the apartment, they were told the other defendant was upstairs.”

“They called up and asked him to come down,” Horvath added. “When he (Bates) came down, he had a towel or blanket wrapped around him and blood on his hands. The blanket moved, revealing a wound to the abdomen. He said he ‘fell on his blade.’”

Horvath said police did not see any evidence of someone else being involved in the stabbing.

Detective Sgt. Michael Filosi, who worked on the case with Detective Sgt. Steven Horvath, said the investigation began about two weeks ago when the teens came forward. Both are acquaintances of the couple.

“We were not sure if they were working as a team,” Filosi said. “But they both were involved.”

The 19-year-old, who has a mental disability, reportedly told detectives she was assaulted April 1. She told police Campbell gave her a soft drink mixed with vodka and then removed her clothes. Bates reportedly fondled her and forced her to perform a sex act. She told police she did not want to do it but was afraid of Campbell and Bates.

The younger girl told police she was visiting them June 11 when Campbell told her to go upstairs because it was cooler. She was playing with Campbell’s phone while Campbell played a video game. Bates then allegedly turned the girl on her back and held her down. The girl started screaming. Bates reportedly fondled her.

Filosi said the investigation is continuing and he did not rule out more victims.

Campbell was arraigned before District Judge David Mark on numerous charges including criminal conspiracy to commit aggravated incident assault of a person younger than 16, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault and aggravated indecent assault of a person who suffers from a mental disability.

As Mark explained the allegations against her, Campbell chuckled and at one point, sighed and said “Oh my.”

She was placed in Washington County jail on $200,000 bond. She also is to have no contact with the teens. A preliminary hearing is tentatively slated for Aug. 6 in Central Court.

Bates was flown from the parking lot of the Palanka Club to a Pittsburgh hospital for medical treatment. He faces a laundry list of charges including aggravated indecent assault and conspiracy.

Kathie O. Warco has covered the police beat and transportation for the Observer-Reporter for more than 25 years. She graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in journalism.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus