Key witness slain in pregnant teen’s shooting
PITTSBURGH (AP) – Police were searching for two suspects who ambushed and fatally shot a 15-year-old boy who was a key witness in the shooting of his pregnant 15-year-old friend.
Allegheny County homicide detectives identified the victim of Wednesday’s shooting as Leroy Powell, of Duquesne.
Powell initially told police he saw another 15-year-old Duquesne boy, Eric Taylor, carrying a gun moments before Powell’s friend – DaRae Delgado – was shot on May 26. Delgado was seven months pregnant and survived, but her unborn child did not.
At a preliminary hearing last month, Powell changed his story and testified he didn’t see Taylor with a gun. Taylor was still ordered to stand trial as an adult in the Delgado shooting, based on other evidence.
Police were attempting to determine if Powell was shot for being a witness in the Taylor case.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Troubled Fredericktown water authority needs a costly fix | Observer-Reporter
- 2Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. professor found dead on campus | Observer-Reporter
- 4Court cases | Observer-Reporter
- 5Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter