Skid loader overturns in manure pit, killing teen
LANCASTER (AP) – Authorities say a 15-year-old Pennsylvania boy was driving a piece of farm machinery when it overturned in a manure pit, killing him.
The Lancaster County coroner says Jonas King was operating a skid loader Saturday morning when it flipped into the pit on his family’s farm in Leacock Township.
Police say the boy was completely submerged when emergency personnel arrived. It took rescue crews more than an hour to pull him out.
Jonas was pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner says the cause was asphyxia.
The Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal reports that six local residents have died since 1989 as a result of falling or jumping into manure pits, which store waste from farm animals.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
- 3Retired Consol worker wins religious discrimination suit | Observer-Reporter
- 4Washington bus depot almost ready | Observer-Reporter
- 5Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union