Port Authority drivers among highest-paid
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Public records show that six of the eight highest-paid employees at the Allegheny County Port Authority were bus drivers, some of whom earned about $80,000 in overtime pay.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports today that after CEO Ellen McLean, who made $187,000, and COO Bill Miller, who made $136,000, all of the next six highest-paid people in fiscal 2014 were drivers. Base pay for a driver is about $55,000 but one earned over $135,000.
Amalgamated Transit Union Local 85 President Steve Palonis says some of the top earners worked seven days a week or double shifts. Palonis says the drivers sacrifice home life and should be applauded.
Port Authority spokesman Jim Ritchie says reduced staffing because of funding uncertainty contributed to the overtime, but they are now hiring drivers.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 3Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 4Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 5Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union