House fire stops traffic along Henderson Avenue

  • August 11, 2014

A minor house fire along the 600 block of Henderson Avenue left traffic at a standstill Monday afternoon.

The Washington Fire Department responded to 610 Henderson Ave. around 2:30 p.m. for a minor house fire.

Captain George McMullen said the fire started when electrical wires outside the home arched.

Everyone got out of the home safely and no injuries were reported, McMullen said.

The flames charred a small area of siding on the outside of the home. Nothing else was damaged, McMullen said.

The road was closed while city firefighters waited for the power company to respond, The right lane was later opened to allow traffic to slowly flow, until both lanes were opened roughly an hour later.

McMullen said the fire “could have been worse” if not for the quick response of the power company.

“We couldn’t do anything until the power was off for fear of electrocution,” he said.

North Strabane and Peters Township fire departments also responded.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Man struck by truck in Washington; hospitalized

150-year-old voter lists found in Courthouse Square

Drug arrests made in Monongahela

Guest house opens in Monongahela

Peters Township man jailed for allegedly beating his mother

No tax increase in Robinson budget

Parkway, Fort Pitt Tunnel closures planned

Update planned on Charleroi historic preservation efforts

E. Washington woman pitches ‘Pittsburgh Plaid’ to city council

Could this week’s Mystery Photo be the first day of school?