Women plead guilty in alfredo sauce assault

December 30, 2014
Image description
Summer Thomas
Image description
Tori Thomas

Two Washington women accused of attacking a man and dumping hot alfredo sauce on a woman at a Canton Township diner in October 2013 pleaded guilty Tuesday before Washington County Judge John F. DiSalle.

Tori Thomas, 27, of 204 Lincoln Terrace, and Summer Thomas, 26, of 396 Houston St., were accused in the Oct. 25, 2013, attack at Cee Tee Diner, Jefferson Avenue, along with their co-defandant, Amanda Terry, 25, of 924 Chartiers St., Washington. Terry is scheduled to appear before DiSalle in February. The restaurant later closed and recently reopened under the name Hopewell Diner.

Tori Thomas pleaded guilty to two counts of simple assault and one count of disorderly conduct. She was sentenced to 5 years of probation and ordered to undergo a drug and alcohol evaluation and complete anger management counseling.

Summer Thomas pleaded guilty to one count of simple assault and was sentenced to 2 years of probation. Summer Thomas was also ordered to undergo a drug and alcohol evaluation and complete anger management counseling. Charges of aggravated assault, harassment and conspiracy were dropped.

Tori Thomas is accused of going to the diner twice to demand child-support money from Andrew Herron, 27, of Washington. After being told to leave, Tori Thomas allegedly returned, armed with an aluminum baseball bat and accompanied by Summer Thomas and Terry.

Merle Harps, who worked at the diner and is the brother of Carla Smith, who owned the business, testified at a Nov. 7, 2013, preliminary hearing that Tori Thomas came in through the front door of the restaurant and started swinging the bat wildly. Justin Shrader of Washington, a cook who was outside, came into the diner holding his right arm near the elbow after reportedly being hit by Tori Thomas.

Harps said he tried to get the bat from Tori Thomas and people in the kitchen had to step back to avoid being hit. He said he then saw Summer Thomas and Terry coming at him. Harps said he saw Summer Thomas hit him but believed both women were involved.

Smith testified at the hearing that she suffered first-degree burns when the sauce was dumped on her. She was taken to UPMC-Mercy hospital in Pittsburgh for treatment.

The Thomases are not to have contact with the victims or the restaurant, and DiSalle ordered all three women to pay more than $3,000 in restitution to the victims.

Francesca Sacco joined the Observer-Reporter as a staff writer in November 2013, and covers the Washington County Courthouse and education. Prior to working with the Observer-Reporter, Francesca was a staff writer with a Gannett paper in Ohio. She graduated from Point Park University with a dual bachelor’s degree in print and broadcast journalism.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus