Monessen considering a remote start to school year
Fungal growth found in middle, high schools
Monessen School District is considering a remote start to the 2026-27 school year as the district continues to address fungal growth that was found on water-damaged building materials inside its middle school and high school buildings last month.
In a letter to school district families, Superintendent Dr. Robert Motte said teacher supplies, instructional materials and other resources inside the building are not accessible.
“No final decision has been made at this time. However, we are actively preparing for this possibility so that our students can continue learning with as little interruption as possible,” Motte wrote.
Last week, the school district said the start date would be delayed to Sept. 8 after air quality tests confirmed fungal growth was found on materials inside the men’s room, women’s room, office women’s room and adjacent office area, and the concession room.
“Please know the district is working continuously to evaluate our options and make decisions that prioritize the safety, education and well-being of our students and staff,” Motte continued.
The school district has purchased instructional resources that will provide teachers and students with access to curriculum materials and instructional resources in case the district begins the school year remotely, and plans are underway to distribute technology to students.
Motte said air quality tests were being conducted at the elementary school on Wednesday as a precaution, and a summary of the findings will be provided when they are completed.
“This remains a very fluid situation, and circumstances may change quickly,” said Motte, noting the district will notify parents as information becomes available.