Blaze hits compressor station in Gilmore Township
Three fire companies were called Thursday to extinguish a fire at a natural gas compressor station in Gilmore Township.
The New Freeport, Wayne Township and Center Township volunteer fire companies were called to the fire at the Vantage Energy compressor station off Six Run Road shortly after noon. No injuries were reported.
Center Township Fire Chief Charles Jones said the call involved not only a fire at the compressor station but also a ruptured natural gas line about a quarter of a mile away from the station.
Firefighters set up a safety perimeter around the ruptured 2-inch line. They didn’t initially fight the fire at the compressor station because of safety concerns regarding the presence of high-pressure lines, Jones said.
A company employee eventually came to the scene and turned off a valve that doused most of the fire at the station. Once the station was determined to be safe, firefighters entered the site to extinguish a roll of rubber matting that was still burning, the employee said.
Neither the cause of the fire nor the extent of damage to the station was known. A spokesman for Vantage Energy could not be reached for comment Friday.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union